This Week in Kindergarten
November 28th - December 2nd
This week in LA we will continue to work in our unit on Lily and the letter Ll. We are working to identifying beginning and ending sounds as well as identify the short vowels /a/ and /o/ in the middle of CVC words such as log and glad. This week we will continue to build our class word wall which contains our Memory Words. We will add 5 new words (for, this, with, have, like) to our wall this week and work on our complete list during the month of December. A viewable Google Doc has been added to the "Link" section of our blog (left side of the page) that contains a complete list of the Memory Words introduced so far this year. As new words are introduced they will be added to this list so that you have the most current list for at home practice.
This week during math we will continue our review and practice of number to 120. We will begin to work in our first Addition unit of the year and will be working on the idea of joining objects to create a whole set. We will begin this unit by using joining stories to create an "and/is" addition sentence such as 5 and 2 is 7. Later in the unit we will begin to incorporate math symbols to write addition equations using + and = ...... 5+2=7.
This week during religion we will turn our focus toward the season of Advent. We will be working in an interactive book called "Advent is for Waiting" and will also be working on Advent themed pages from our religion student books. On Friday we will join our 8th grade buddies for mass at 9:00. We will also work on a fun Advent wreath craft on Friday which will be a great classroom decoration for the month of December!
This week in social studies we will spend a couple of days focusing on Needs & Wants before diving into our Christmas Around the World unit on Thursday. This unit will focus on Christmas traditions in the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Italy, and China. Our Christmas Around the World "suitcase" of journaling and projects will come home as a complete unit just before Christmas break.
Notes & Announcements:
- IMPORTANT DATES:
- Polar Express Pajama Day!!
- On Monday, December 5th we will have a special Polar Express Pajama Day along with a treat (hot cocoa and cookies) and a guest reader to read The Polar Express during the afternoon. More specific information will come home during the week of November 28th.
- Theater Field Trip w/1st & 2nd Grade - Wednesday, February 1st
- Please Note: This is a morning field trip with a limited number of tickets. We will NOT be taking chaperones on this trip and will be back to SAS for lunch.
- End of Year Picnic - Monday, June 5th
- VOLUNTEER HOURS
- Please see the information flyer in last week's Friday Flyer regarding logging volunteer hours. Please make sure to keep track of your hours via the online system so that you receive credit for your hours throughout the year.
- If you attend the Sharp's Farm field trip as a chaperone you can log these hours (9:00-2:00) under "Kindergarten" in the drop-down menu.
Happy Playing, Laughing & Learning!